Sunday, March 14, 2010

A "Know Your Prices" Reminder

A few weeks ago, a major store in our area announced that it was closing. I went in the next day and they seemed to have some pretty good prices (their ads for that week were still in affect plus they had a 20% off "store closing" discount). I bought a few things then figured I would go back in a couple of weeks when we got back from vacation to see if anything was left and to see if even deeper discounts were being offered.
Yesterday I went back to the store and couldn't believe what I was seeing. There were big "STORE CLOSING 30%-50% OFF" signs all over the place but when I looked at some of the toiletries that I was interested in buying, I noted that someone had taken a price gun and marked every single bottle of shampoo, package of soap, tubes of toothpaste, etc. with new HIGHER prices. Of course I didn't buy anything--even with the "discount", the higher prices meant I would be paying about the same as I would pay for the items at other stores in the area.
This was an excellent reminder of how important it is to have a price book, or similar way to remember what the average prices are that you pay for the most common items that you buy. People who don't pay attention to prices may come into this store and look at the signs and think they are getting a good deal when in reality they are getting ripped off!

No comments:

Post a Comment