- Go get an official smog check (we can't get a registration extension without a no-pass paper from the smog check people). Cost $20.
- Go to the DMV with our flunked smog check paper and get a ten-day temporary registration so we can get everything fixed (mechanic said he can't fix the car without the temporary registration because he has to drive it around after the fix and they can't drive it if the registration is expired). Cost $1.
- Run to the assessor's office and get a voucher that will pay the registration fee because hubby is a retired veteran. Cost: free.
- Take the car back to the mechanic so he can fix the car. Cost: $200 (ouch).
- Take the fixed car back for another smog check. Cost: $20.
- Take the car back to the DMV and get it registered. Cost: hopefully free with the voucher although there may be a fine because our registration is already expired.