Thursday, September 27, 2012

It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

This is mostly an update post but I wanted a nicer headline than "update".  Here's what's happening:

  • The weather in Las Vegas is absolutely perfect in the fall; high 80s, low 90s and low humidity plus it's sunny...nice!
  • Thanks everyone for your comments about my blog issues.  I think it was something with Blogger and I hope it's fixed now.
  • I'm still really wanting a new smartphone.  Hubby and I have been debating it endlessly.  He is fine with his ancient phone and really I should be fine with my old, basic phone too because really, we only talk and text each other (most everyone else I message to over Facebook and email).  But I love technology.  I just don't love the super expensive prices for a new smartphone and this article as well as this article made some very good points.
  • And I think my computer is trying to make me want a smartphone even more.  Have you noticed that when you are researching something (I have been checking out phones, plans, service providers, etc) suddenly all of the ads you encounter on the webpages you visit are pushing the exact product you have been researching?  Well that's what my computer has been doing and its creeping me out!
  • I came across this article and it is soooo true.  Ladies (well this mostly applies to ladies but to some men too), you need to judge a man (or woman) by their actions and not by what they say.  Especially when it comes to money.  Since I have been married for...ever...I have had very little exposure to people like this although I have been witness to guy friends who were financial train wrecks yet they still had women falling all over them and all I could do was shake my head in disbelief.  Also my friend has somehow dated every loser within a 50 mile radius.  Nearly all of these guys were financially incompetent if not downright manipulative which has resulted in her shelling out more money than she has or can afford for these losers.  If someone is a walking financial disaster run fast and run far away from them.
  • Since we just got our wills done, this article grabbed my attention.  Death can be quite expensive.  Since I want hubby to retain as much money as possible if I should go before him, I made it quite clear that if I am at death's door I want him to pull the plug.  Quickly.  Then I want to be cremated (it's way cheaper than burial), he can put my ashes where ever he wants to, then I want him to skip the funeral and have a party at our house to celebrate my passing.  Simple.  Cheap.
  • On a happier note, this information was useful (I'm a big fan of WD40 anyway).
  • Finally, I am still waiting for my book to get here so I can proofread it and set it up for sale on Amazon!

2 comments:

  1. Unless you are religously opposed to cremation - it is definitely the cheapest way to go. Funeral homes will still try and sell you urns which are quite costly. My stepfather passed away about fifteen years ago in a car accident and my Mom was suddenly a widow. Fortunately he had always made it clear he did not want anything - no funeral etcs. She took him home in a small cardboard box (yes that is an option, looks like a shoe box) and was able to do as he wished - she later spread his ashes at their favorite lake. I have made it really clear to my hubby and family I want the same. Death is not the time to be lavish in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting topic that not many people like to talk about. My inlaws both passed with an year of each other. They did not want any money spent (wasted) on a funeral, so they both donated their bodies to science. After they passed, their bodies were simply taken away and a couple of months later, the family got the ashes. This is good (saves money/helps science) and bad (no ritual gathering/closure). Eventually the siblings are going to get together and have a memorial service, but it has been very tough on all of us. One day they are there, the next day they are gone.

    ReplyDelete