- Always keep a case of water in your car for emergencies (this is a given in Las Vegas due to the weather but it is also good to give to the homeless, grab a bottle when you go shopping, etc).
- Always keep your gas tank at least half full (at least you can get out of the immediate area before needing to refuel).
- Always keep an overnight bag in the car (or ready to grab and go in your house) with a change of clothes/toiletries/basic survival gear/etc. If you had to relocate to a hospital or hotel in an emergency you will have everything you need on hand.
- Always keep your computer files backed up and off-site in case your computer dies, you are away from home and need an important fire, etc.
- Always keep extra prescription medication with you (in your purse, in your emergency evacuation bag) in case you can't get home to take it.
- Keep emergency food in your evacuation bag as well--granola bars, candy, beef jerky, packets of dried soup or oatmeal, etc.
- Don't forget to take your important documents with you as well (passport, Wills and medical directives, a household inventory, marriage certificate, birth certificates, etc).
- Also have your emergency fund with you in cash as well as a couple of zero-balance credit cards to use in an emergency.
If you want to make a comprehensive evacuation kit, here is a great list to check out.
Even if you don't have a lot of money, you can still put together this important survival gear slowly but surely. Many emergency items can be found at the $1 store or Goodwill. Also, putting a little money out of each paycheck towards your preparedness shopping list means you will eventually have everything you need in an emergency!