Sunday, August 21, 2022

Cash-Only Report--Week 3

So far so good! There wasn't much we needed to buy this week, the sales and loss leaders at our local grocery store were kind of meh so we didn't buy much there, and we didn't go to Costco or Sam's Club (which is an automatic $100+ savings!) so we came in way under budget this week!

  • August 15:  $5 Baskin Robbins (coffee drink)
  • August 16:  $5 Baskin Robbins (coffee drink), $2.71 Dollar Tree (coffee filters), $5.48 Dell Taco
  • August 17:  $3.75 Dollar Tree (snacks, remove), $8.48 Goodwill (DVD player, clothes)
  • August 18:  $7.27 99 Cent Store (food), $1.37 Big Lots (strainers), $5 Baskin Robbins (coffee drink), $2.50 fill water jug, $27.92 Albertsons (food)
  • August 19:  No spend
  • August 20:  No spend
  • August 21:  No spend
The total amount we spent this week was $74.48 which is way below our weekly goal of spending $125 a week!  Hubby found a box of DVDs in the garage but we didn't have a DVD player so we picked one up at the Goodwill for $5 then bought a universal remote at the 99 Cent store and now we can watch DVD movies for much less than the cost of buying a brand new DVD player!  Our activity this week was to go out to a fancy brunch which a friend invited us to (and paid for); I must be getting jaded or maybe it is a sign of the times but for $30ish a plate, I thought the food was meh and the service even worse.  Our second experience with eating out was when hubby said he would pick up a snack on the way home so he went to Dell Taco; we haven't been there is ages and again, I thought the food was pretty awful.  I think I much prefer cooking at home these days!  We spent Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at home watching movies, cooking and baking, and taking walks around our neighborhood so we saved on gas this week as well.

6 comments:

  1. You are doing great with your cash only challenge! My general take on eating out - I enjoy it for the experience (e.g. date night, with just my husband, or a family dinner out, as we tend to take much more time to chat & catch up). The food is pretty secondary to the goal of time together. When we're at home, everyone is so go, go, go. Dining out typically forces us to take a bit more time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel the same way abut eating out--while I would prefer to cook at home, the social aspect of eating out with people is more important than the food (I still do the inner cringe about expensive restaurant prices though!).

      Delete
  2. I could never buy a cheap dvd player and a cheap remote since I know nothing about anything dvd because I have not used on in over 20 years! But, that was a good deal for watching movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good option when we can't find a movie on Netflix or when the internet is down!

      Delete
  3. It is great you can get a cheap dvd and make it work for cheap entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like rewatching old movies that I may not really remember--it's almost like watching a new movie!

      Delete