Saturday, February 11, 2023

Some Great Home Purchases

Here are a few things I have bought/repurposed recently for our home...

When the flooring guys pulled out our stove to put new flooring underneath it, I was shocked (and grossed out) by how much food and debris had managed to slide in between the stove and the countertop!  After thoroughly scrubbing the sides of the stove and the cabinets, I immediately hopped on Amazon and ordered these silicon counter gap strips which so far have worked wonderfully!  They do their job of keeping any spills from running down the side of the stove and are easy to clean.

Of course, I still rave about the bidet I have had for about a year now.  For around $35, it saves its cost in toilet paper several times over each year and we have also had several guests use it and immediately want to order one too!

After we got the wood floor put in, I asked the sales guy how to clean it and he said to just use a Swiffer.  Since I don't want to buy a product that I need to keep buying refills for all the time, I bought a $6 mop from Ross...

...and made my own Swiffer-like device out of it!

Finally, we had a lot of pictures on our living room wall that we took down during the renovation.  Instead of putting them back up, I decided I wanted to put them in a digital photo frame.  Then I checked out the prices of digital photo frames (yikes!  I didn't know they were that expensive!) and then I remembered that I had an old tablet-style laptop that we don't use anymore so I set it up to be used like a photo display frame and now it's screen saver just shuffles through hundreds of family pictures!


 

8 comments:

  1. great idea with the I-Pad never thought of doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely saved a lot of money. I've seen the electric photo display devices before but didn't realize they were over $100!

      Delete
  2. I'm mostly just a reader and never a commenter, but I wanted to chime in that I gave in and got the swiffer a couple years ago and I love it. I looked, researched, pondered, priced and fretted about that stupid "mop" issue. (My frustration was every time I'd buy a sponge mop, they would stop making my particular style head and new versions never fit!) I LOVE the Swiffer and buy the double box of pads at Sam's - which last me a pretty long time so I don't mind. However, there is another style you might like that is made by Rubbermaid - with a spray bottle you use your own cleaner in, and comes with 2 microfiber pads that you remove and wash in your washing machine. I have that one as well and like it but when it's a gooy or especially dirty mess, I love the 'toss away' pad with my Swiffer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the idea, I will definitely check out the Rubbermade cleaner (although I too might break down and get a Swiffer as my homemade device doesn't work that well!).

      Delete
  3. I need the counter strips, but the refrigerator is next to the stove top counter. That is a good idea to use the laptop for pictures. I use an off-brand swiffer-like thing and make do with pieces of cloth and sometimes a paper towel, tshirt pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea to use an old t shirt--I will definitely give it a try!

      Delete