Sunday, April 14, 2024

The State of Shopping

Hubby and I went out shopping yesterday and saw the following things...

Our local 99 Cent Store is pretty bare.  They are supposed to close in June but I think they will be completely out of inventory much sooner than that. 

And as we were checking out of said store, we noticed a lady that had apparently changed shoes and walked out of the store without paying for her new shoes (notice the tag still on the side of the shoe. Also notice hubby's big finger in the way when he took the picture!).  As the 99 Cent Store CEO noted, one of the reasons they are going out of business is because of unprecedented levels of theft!  smh

Then hubby wanted KFC so we stopped by to pick up a 2-piece meal for him and noticed the other two specials and noted one was probably for people who couldn't do math!

Then we headed to Best Buy and I picked up a couple of sale items as I want to revamp my computer/monitor/entire work-from-home set up.  I am buying all sale items since I hate to pay full price for anything and while I used to buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, these days buying things on Amazon is very much hit or miss.  Some prices are good, many prices are now higher than regular retail stores, and you ever know when you will get used/broken/counterfeit items.

Finally, hubby gave me $500 and said 'buy whatever you want' since my birthday is coming up this week.  I always spend my money carefully, buy what is needed (especially if it is on sale), pay bills, or just put it in savings.  This time, however, I splurged and bought a stupid expensive backpack for our trip later this year.  When we travel, I always pack everything in one backpack so I, #1 felt like splurging on myself for once, #2 figured that even if the bag was expensive I would still save a lot of money not paying for baggage fees for our trip, and #3, get to experience the "Holy Grail" of backpacks.  I'm still waiting for its arrival and I hope I like it (if not, back it goes!).

I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!


11 comments:

  1. I can't believe no one has called them out on that 6 pc price. Says a lot about our society doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked up the stats for my state and only 30% of students are at grade level for math which means 70% aren't--that's shockingly terrible!

      Delete
  2. Politics aside, how did theft become so rampant? I feel like people lost their minds post COVID & just feel really entitled to steal, and it feels like such a bad shift in society, and the beginning of other behaviors we don't want (e.g. the people the flip out on planes & elsewhere in public). Or, is it just more noticeable because of the internet? (Hawaii Planner)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People have seriously lost their minds. Not sure if this came pre or post covid but people's behavior these days would make my grandmother's generation spin in their graves!

      Delete
  3. They will probably pack it all up one day and send it to another store. Do you really think the lady forgot? I doubt it. I used to love Best Buy. I need to shop there again as Office Max has lost me as a customer. Funny about KFC ad. I have to admit I never heard of that brand backpack. I wonder how I missed that brand even if I don't buy it. I have poor balance now, and that backpack would put me on the floor. Do you put both your clothes in one bag? It is a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I can carry everything I need for a multi-week trip in a small backpack but hubby needs a wheeled suitcase these days because I don't want him ending up on the floor!

      Delete
    2. I 'test-packed' for a trip to Australia for a month. I used a suggested packing list. I put everything in and still had half the carryon empty. I have had back trouble for years, so no backpack for me ever. No, I did not go to Australia.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday first of all- and oh wow on the backpack.. and double oh wow on the stores closing. We used to go to them when we went to Arizona for the winters... saved us money for sure.. and too bad about them closing. Theft seems to be everywhere and always see empty packages or drink containers, etc all over Walmart in particular. People must feel entitled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I can't believe how many people steal things as well. It's awful!

      Delete