Thursday, November 5, 2009

Not Going into Debt Can be Tough...Especially When the Joneses Buy a New Mercedes

My heart is set on living debt free and cash only. I am slowly working my way out of debt inch by inch and I look forward to next week when I cancel my last credit card. Today I talked to my sister-in-law who informed me that my other sister in law just bought a new Mercedes. I don't know if I feel happy about it (happy for her because she does work really hard and kind of "deserves" it and even more happy that it isn't me signing up for years of car debt) or sad because I would really like a new Mercedes (or a new anything...the only thing I have now is a shiny bus pass and a hubby who lets me drive his old car any time I need it). Also, I know that this particular brother and sister in law are up to their eyeballs in debt and have been for decades so I actually feel sad for them even though they will look nice driving around in their new car.
So I think I will push my sadness aside and focus my attention on getting out of debt. I will be thankful that I have a wonderful, supportive husband, thankful that we are both employed and our incomes easily pay our bills each month, thankful that with each paycheck we are slowly becoming debt free, and thankful that indeed, one day, I will be able to "live like no one else" as Dave Ramsey says and actually pay cash for any car that I want. I bet the car will even drive better than new because it won't be dragging a payment book along behind it!

No comments:

Post a Comment