Friday, April 15, 2011

The Yearly Goal Wrap Up

I'm going to be 44 in a couple of days which reminded me that I needed to wrap up my annual goal list which I posted here about 365 days ago. The list is pretty self explanatory; unfortunately I completed less than half of the items, but on the other hand, there were so many changes during the past year, that I am still really satisfied with what has happened during my 43rd year of life. At the time I wrote the list, I had no inkling that our lives would change so dramatically. I wanted to travel more but we didn't know at the time that the universe would converge and a bundle of serendipitous events would result in us now traveling full time. What started as a dream--being able to sell everything and have the funds to travel for at least a year--became a reality when my main client went belly up in late fall (without basically being forced out of a job, I probably would have never had the guts to leave a "good job". That would be crazy right?), and I was faced with the decision of finding more work for my business or (horrors) finding an actual job to pay our bills and support our lifestyle. Also, home values were declining and our house was way too big for us and we wanted to get out while we still had equity in the house so we put it up for sale and it sold rather quickly. Then, seeing as how my work days were numbered, we got laser intense on getting out of debt (selling gold, selling nearly everything we owned, CraigsListing like a maniac, no shopping at all, etc). By the time our house was getting ready to close, we determined that since we were nearly debt free, had enough income coming in to meet what would be a minuscule amount of living expenses without the house, and didn't actually need a new home right away since we would be traveling, we decided to put the small amount of things we kept in storage and have been traveling since February. Miracles really do happen! Since I am still really into lists, I have created a new goal list for my 44th year of life. I posted it here on my other blog and have hopes that I will get a lot more completed this year. Many items were taken from last year's list because they are things I still really want to do, while other items are travel-related. Overall, I am looking forward to an amazing, adventurous, year!

No comments:

Post a Comment