Thursday, June 12, 2014

Week 2 Update

Well I managed to survive week two of my temporary job...here's a quick update:

  • Work was fine.  It did, however, reaffirm my notion that I am simply not wired to work a five-day-a-week, 9-5 job.  I know many people would love this kind of job but I need my freedom.  It makes no sense to have to wait until a certain time to "clock in" and start working when there is work to be done (ditto the idea of standing around doing nothing when there is no work to do).  I absolutely love having more flexible jobs that allow me to work when I want and how I want but I appreciate the opportunity to work a short six-week session and put some extra money in my pocket.
  • Last week I was reading Carla's blog and saw this article.  It immediately reminded me of a shooting that happened in Tacoma a couple of years before we left the Seattle area.  And then, a couple of days ago, the unimaginable happened AGAIN right here in Las Vegas when two police officers were killed in an ambush shooting.  I seriously don't know what is wrong with people these days.  It makes me want to go be a hermit somewhere and not have to deal with people at all since you never know when someone is going to go crazy and start shooting for no reason whatsoever.  Ugh.
  • The garden isn't going so well.  I did get one serving of chard and a couple of tomatoes are turning red but for all of the work and the lack of results I might have to agree with hubby that it is better to just buy our produce at the 99 cent store.  Or maybe it is just gardening in the 100+ degree desert that makes this harder than I thought it would be.
  • Hubby went to the Goodwill outlet again without me.  His take was 50 pounds of stuff for around $35.  Fortunately we can ship most of the things he got (sheets, towels, clothes, cookware, etc) to his son in the Philippines.  Otherwise we would need to have a garage sale as our garage is filling up with stuff and more stuff.
  • On a happier Las Vegas note, this guy's Las Vegas video has gone viral, our Miss Nevada won the recent Miss USA title, and Cirque du Soleil is 30.
  • And from the "two steps forward, one step back" file: we took the van in for it's usual oil change and were happy to see that there was a sale for $11.95 (yeah).  Then we found out that the water pump was leaking so that was a big expense that needed to be taken care of ASAP (boo).  We got a great deal on the water pump and labor because hubby is a friend of the shop's owner (yeah).  Then we were told that the serpentine belt needed to be replaced too which is common is Vegas where rubber anything has an extremely short shelf life in the baking Las Vegas sun (boo).  Then we got the final bill and it was only $200 which is about half of the usual cost mostly, I am guessing, because hubby often brings the guys at the shop lunch (they are mostly Filipino) if he happens to be cooking on the days he drives by the area where the shop is located. Yeah.
Finally, here's a few links you might like:

No comments:

Post a Comment