Wednesday, April 25, 2018

10 Things From Today


It's been an interesting day...

  1. We get the best sunsets in Las Vegas (see photo above)!
  2. This was a kind of sad article about renting friends and family members when you don't have them in Japan.
  3. On a happier note (kind of?), this guy on reddit wrote up what his family should do financially if he dies or is incapacitated.  Most people don't think to do this but it is a good idea.  I may write up something like this for hubby.
  4. My friend was trying to thru hike the Appalachian Trail and I just heard that he was injured again (second serious foot injury) and is off-trail.  Hopefully he heals up and can finish this epic quest.
  5. The Latin Billboard Music Awards will be held here in Las Vegas tomorrow and, as often happens, the producers like to have a very full audience for filming so locals are given free tickets to be seat fillers and red carpet background people.  It's rather fascinating!
  6. Following up on my post a couple days ago, I got an email from Starbucks this morning--order online for the first time and get 65 stars!!  Ugh.  I didn't do it...today anyway...
  7. This was an interesting article about how the interest in single family houses is shifting.  Hubby and I have a house, each of the kids have houses (although one is deciding on moving soon, and another may be in transition soon), but lately, since we are thinking of moving anyway, we have tossed around the idea of buying a huge house (they are cheap in Tennessee and Georgia--like $450k for a seven bedroom brand new house) and having the kids and grandkids move in with us.  It would be a cheaper way to live for everyone, we wouldn't have to worry about the house when we travel since people would always be there, there would be more people around to help each other out (fixing things in the house, watching the kids in an emergency--we don't do that sort of thing on a regular basis, sharing meals), and it may be an easier way to grow older.  It's something for us to think about...
  8. It's going to be over 90 degrees tomorrow!  I love this weather!!!
  9. Also tomorrow, our brand new professional hockey team the Golden Knights will head towards the second round play-offs for the Stanley Cup.  That team went from nothing to amazing in a handful of months.  Wow!
  10. I've been watching the basic income story unfold for a few years.  It's an interesting idea, I just don't know if it could really work on a large scale.  Unfortunately the basic income experiment in Finland has just been stopped so I think this means it will be a long time from happening here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi - I just want to say that #7 is not a good idea - maybe side by sides or townhouses - close enough but not living together - sounds so ideal but people need their own space and from experiences within my own family it could end in disaster and bad feelings. I even need a break from my husband (who I love dearly for 48 years) and he needs his own space too - But my sister lives a half mile from her favorite daughter and 75% of the time the aren't talking - fighting about trivial things - that generation gap - especially today - is huge - Mary Ellen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. In my husband's culture everyone living together is very common, not so much in the US. I like my own space too!

      Delete