If you are looking for a fascinating and free hobby, consider genealogy! If you are interested in history, your family, researching, and solving mysteries, genealogy might be the hobby for you. This is a photo of my ancestors in 1891 which I found on a free genealogy site which was uploaded by a distant cousin. In fact there are plenty of free resources for amateur genealogist but like any hobby you can go from free and dabbling to expensive and traveling the would to do research fairly quickly. Here are some great places to start:
- Gramps (free genealogy research software, basically software you keep on your computer to store all of your research/documents/photos in an orderly fashion).
- FamilySearch (free online genealogy database, it's a great place to start your search for your ancestors).
- Family History Libraries (LDS libraries with all sorts of free genealogy research materials and really nice people to help you with your genealogy questions).
- GedMatch (if you do a DNA test, you can put your results into this free website and connect with your genetic relations).
- FindAGrave (free cemetery records).
- Reddit Genealogy (a free bulletin board; the people here can answer many of your genealogy questions and are amazing at helping with research).
- Google (one of the best free online research option).