Saturday, September 8, 2018

Your Money or Your Life

I read the book 'Your Money or Your Life' when it first came out in the 1990s.  It was pretty radical at the time as back then people were "shopping til they dropped" and were consumed with "having it all".  There seems to be a resurgence these days, of many of the concepts from this ground-breaking book, especially as it relates to living below your means, saving as much as possible, and retiring early.  Now the trend is towards FI/RE (financial independence/retire early) and the way to do that is to...live below your means, save as much as possible, and retire early!  Here's a good overview of the new FI/RE movement.  And a quick update from the original author of 'Your Money or Your Life'.

2 comments:

  1. I read that book when it came out. It was a little overwhelming...I mean keeping track of every cent you spent and all that, but the basic concept was a good one. Too bad I never followed the advice! It was so radical at the time and anyone I talked to about it thought I was nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think it planted a seed but it took Dave Ramsey to hammer home the whole "get out of debt" thing!

      Delete