Happy Labor Day! Hopefully you aren't laboring today but like any holiday--even one dedicated to laborers taking a rest--there are a lot of people working in customer service/hotels/restaurants/etc today in order to take care of all of the tourists who are enjoying their three day, end-of-summer vacation! In other news...
- We had a small table in the corner of our kitchen which we replaced with this little cabinet that we found at the Goodwill for $16. Instead of just being a table, this little cabinet can hold some of our extra food and provide a nice place for our plants to get some sun too (the storage system we have in the garage to hold our extra food is practically collapsing under the weight of it!).
- Get your free Museum Day tickets here (this is a great opportunity to visit a local museum in your area for free!).
- How's customer service in your area? I'm not sure if this is new or not, but three times in three days we experienced pretty lousy customer service. At McDonalds a girl was taking our order at the counter and in the middle of us ordering she just wandered away to do something else(!). No "excuse me" or anything, just wandered off and came back a minute or so later and said "what did you want?". Weird. The next day at Starbucks, again we were at the counter and the girl was taking my order and in the middle of it she went over to the oven to take something out of it. No "excuse me" just wandered off then came back and totaled up our order. The next day we were at a mid-priced restaurant and I asked for an extra plate (hubby and I always split an order because a single order is so big). The girl brought me a plate with noticeable dried on food on it and handed it to me. I handed it back and asked for a cleaner plate. She brought me a second plate with, again, dried on food on it. Ick. I ended up using the bread plate for my baked potato. All of these people were young so maybe they weren't taught basic manners? Maybe these businesses are scraping the bottom of the barrel for employees since a lot of people don't want to work these days? Mass psychosis? I don't know what it is (or maybe I am old and cranky) but there seems to be a lot of people who lack even the most basic of manners these days. This lady's rants on her YouTube channel basically mirror my own feelings about everything.
- Speaking of YouTube, I got the bright idea to start a YouTube channel (it looks so easy!) so I set up the channel, downloaded some editing software, went to downtown Las Vegas and shot some footage, came back home and quickly found that #1 I'm pretty terrible and shooting video footage (it was bumpy, randomly zoomed in and out, and cut off the tops of some things I wanted to show), #2 I am equally lousy at editing, and #3 I don't have an artistic bone in my body, unfortunately. So I deleted the channel and will just be a YouTube watcher and not a YouTube creator.
- This is Lorraine's blog post today, the title nearly made me spit my cheerios all over my computer this morning.
- I opened a Schwab investment account and they gave me $101 in fractional shares. All in the tech industry. The tech industry as a whole is not doing so well these days. Bummer.