Monday, September 5, 2022

Happy Labor Day and Other Things


Happy Labor Day!  Hopefully you aren't laboring today but like any holiday--even one dedicated to laborers taking a rest--there are a lot of people working in customer service/hotels/restaurants/etc today in order to take care of all of the tourists who are enjoying their three day, end-of-summer vacation!  In other news...

  • We had a small table in the corner of our kitchen which we replaced with this little cabinet that we found at the Goodwill for $16.  Instead of just being a table, this little cabinet can hold some of our extra food and provide a nice place for our plants to get some sun too (the storage system we have in the garage to hold our extra food is practically collapsing under the weight of it!).
  • Get your free Museum Day tickets here (this is a great opportunity to visit a local museum in your area for free!).
  • How's customer service in your area?  I'm not sure if this is new or not, but three times in three days we experienced pretty lousy customer service.  At McDonalds a girl was taking our order at the counter and in the middle of us ordering she just wandered away to do something else(!).  No "excuse me" or anything, just wandered off and came back a minute or so later and said "what did you want?".  Weird.  The next day at Starbucks, again we were at the counter and the girl was taking my order and in the middle of it she went over to the oven to take something out of it.  No "excuse me" just wandered off then came back and totaled up our order.  The next day we were at a mid-priced restaurant and I asked for an extra plate (hubby and I always split an order because a single order is so big).  The girl brought me a plate with noticeable dried on food on it and handed it to me.  I handed it back and asked for a cleaner plate.  She brought me a second plate with, again, dried on food on it.  Ick.  I ended up using the bread plate for my baked potato.  All of these people were young so maybe they weren't taught basic manners?  Maybe these businesses are scraping the bottom of the barrel for employees since a lot of people don't want to work these days?  Mass psychosis?  I don't know what it is (or maybe I am old and cranky) but there seems to be a lot of people who lack even the most basic of manners these days.  This lady's rants on her YouTube channel basically mirror my own feelings about everything.
  • Speaking of YouTube, I got the bright idea to start a YouTube channel (it looks so easy!) so I set up the channel, downloaded some editing software, went to downtown Las Vegas and shot some footage, came back home and quickly found that #1 I'm pretty terrible and shooting video footage (it was bumpy, randomly zoomed in and out, and cut off the tops of some things I wanted to show), #2 I am equally lousy at editing, and #3 I don't have an artistic bone in my body, unfortunately.  So I deleted the channel and will just be a YouTube watcher and not a YouTube creator.
  • This is Lorraine's blog post today, the title nearly made me spit my cheerios all over my computer this morning.
  • I opened a Schwab investment account and they gave me $101 in fractional shares.  All in the tech industry.  The tech industry as a whole is not doing so well these days.  Bummer.

6 comments:

  1. Lorraine's alliteration was genius! I love the little cabinet. It is so cute and more useful than just a table. The cloth on top is nice. I bet your channel was better than you think. Maybe you should have kept trying. Yes, I think employees are giving shoddy service!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence--maybe I will start practicing my video skills now!

      Delete
  2. I totally am with you on the customer service thing, and just everything you said- you are 100% right... I am also behind in reading your posts.. but will catch back up- but the last few months have been a whirlwind for us with moving, an aging mother to help care for, and moving her as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've been reading your blog and you do seem to be super busy these days! I hope everything works out well with your mom!

      Delete
  3. It seems like every fast food restaurant in our area has the rudest workers now. I always try to be extra nice because I know that line of work can be very tough. However, several have just been flat out rude for no reason at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm not sure if they are under a lot of stress or were just never taught manners. Oh the good old days!

      Delete