Wednesday, July 22, 2026

10 Tech Things

I have always loved tech but these days. the invasive surveillance by big tech companies is seriously getting out of hand. My tech set up these days to avoid the surveillance-industrial complex...

  1. I bought a Pixel 9a and "deGoogled" it (yes there is some irony there) by installing Graphene OS. It's a pretty simple process which is outlined on this YouTube channel.
  2. This phone does not take the best pictures so I do have a Galaxy S26 Ultra with no sim card in it that I use for quality photos and videos. I would prefer a point-and-shoot camera but the cost for these once cheap cameras has increased by 500% over the past 20 years!
  3. I use Mint mobile for my cell carrier due to their cheap $15 per month plan. For more secure calling here is an option. My life is quite boring so no super secret squirrel calls or texts for me, just a bunch of boring texts and calls between me and hubby and me and a few friends.
  4. I have several laptops, one with Windows 11 for work-only stuff, one with Windows 10 which I use occasionally because it has old versions of MS Office and Adobe Photoshop on it, and two that I changed the operating systems to Linux Mint, a more privacy-focused operating system. There are lots of videos on how to do this on YouTube.
  5. I also use privacy-respecting browsers (Brave, Firefox, Vanadium), free and open-source software (LibreOffice, VLC, Handbrake, etc), and secure apps (Signal, Organic Maps, etc).
  6. I have gone old-school for some work things such as using a paper calendar book, a paper and pen for writing notes, and phone calls when needed (more secure than email).
  7. And I am going more old-school for my entertainment options too. Hubby loves Netflix (way too much tracking) but I prefer over-the-air antenna for my dumb TV, books and DVDs from the Goodwill instead of reading everything on a Kindle, and listening to the radio instead of streaming music.
  8. Other entertainment options I have tried include HAM radio, paper books of crossword and find-a-word puzzles, going outside and taking a walk, playing darts, jigsaw puzzles, and I am thinking about getting a metal detector.
  9. I have pretty much closed all of my social media accounts (reddit, X, Instagram), but still have Facebook to keep in touch with the kids and grandkids (although I am looking for a way to delete this account as well).
  10. While I would need to be a hermit to avoid all tracking, I am making small changes, like paying cash instead of credit card sometimes, writing letters (I have a few friends that still like to write letters), and having in-person conversations with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment