Wednesday, August 8, 2012

All About Cell Phones

I came across this article a couple of days ago and it really made sense.  In fact both the hubby and I cancelled our expensive contract cell phones/plan and instead bought our own unlocked basic cell phones from Amazon which we now use with a TMobile pre-paid cell phone plan.  The plan is pretty cheap--$30 each for 1500 talk minutes/texts and internet access--which is basically all we need.  I just noticed that Walmart has a similar plan for TMobile with $30 for 100 talk minutes plus unlimited texts and unlimited internet which I may be switching to.
I really can't understand how people can pay over $100 a month for their cell phone plans!  Yes, you get a bright, shiny phone (like a new iPhone or new Android phone), plus with an unlimited plan you can watch movies and stream music till your heart's content, but who wants to watch a movie on a 3" screen??  And many of the people I see with these phones look like they can barely afford such an expensive monthly bill.
I guess it comes down to what's important to you (for me it's saving money, for others it may be always-on phone and internet access) and what you can afford (well, it should be based on what you can afford but as I said above I don't think some people consider this).
In my case, a few months ago I had switched to a nice, new Android phone but I felt the $50 monthly fee was too high (I usually have my computer with me and internet access anyway so this wasn't absolutely necessary with a cell phone) and I noticed that like many other people I would be glued to my cell phone constantly, jumping every time an email dinged or a Facebook post was made by a friend, and ignoring the hubby and anyone else who was with me which wasn't very nice.  So I went back to my basic cell phone and basic pre-paid plan and sold my new Android phone on CraigsList for a $50 loss :(
Now--ever the tech lover--I am really thinking about going back to a smart phone because of the $30 Walmart monthly plan.  I really don't talk on the phone too much, preferring instead to text or send Twitter/email messages, so I would be paying the same price (except for, of course, buying the smart phone for about $200) and getting a better plan.  I was also thinking about keeping the phone and pre-paid plan I have now but getting a Samsung Galaxy 7" tab and a $25 a month pre-paid broadband plan for it (which would total $55 a month for phone/internet service).  My logic for this is that I would have internet access everywhere and since the tablet is bigger than a cell phone I could even blog and read books on it (plus I would have to actually open it to get any messages so I wouldn't be tempted to "answer" every time a social media message comes in).  Of course the hubby just rolls his eyes but I can't help it--I love tech stuff!

2 comments:

  1. The post is giving the information about the Cell phones? and what are the different ways to reduce the cell phone bills? Can you give the information about the cell phone plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave
    my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice
    blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
    iPhone Repair Dallas

    ReplyDelete