Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Some Digital Housekeeping

It was a quiet day yesterday so I decided to do a bunch of "digital" stuff that I had been meaning to do for quite a long time.  Here's what I did:

  • I reviewed all of the files on my computer and put the "old old" files that I hadn't needed in ages on a thumb drive.  These are files I will probably never need again but still, just in case, I didn't want to completely delete them so they will reside in my office box but at least they won't be taking up room on my computer.
  • I also archived all of my old photos on this thumb drive as well (there were a lot of photos that I probably wouldn't need again either but, again, I didn't want to completely get rid of them).
  • I then backed up all of the remaining files that are on my computer onto another thumb drive that I carry with me in my purse at all times (this gives me a back up of all of my files in case my computer decides to die or something).
  • Then I did a disc clean up on my computer, did an anti-virus scan, and ran the disc defragment scanner (turns out my hard drive didn't need to be defragmented).
  • I changed all of the passwords on my online accounts (email, banking, etc).
  • I deleted all of my old online accounts that I don't use any more (and there were a lot of them!).
  • I ordered credit reports for the hubby and I from all three credit reporting agencies (at annualcreditreport.com not from those other fee services with a similar name).
  • Today I will take a new photo of myself (ick, I don't like my photos) so I can update all of my social media accounts with a more recent photo (the one I use now is a few years old).
  • Today I will also put hubby to work taking a new home inventory video (we did this a while ago but have since added stuff that needs to be documented)
  • I also hope to get around to streamlining my music files today (I think I have duplicates and triplicates of some of my music and getting rid of them will add space to my hard drive)

1 comment:

  1. Well done! I have been cleaning mine up too. Rom does IT support for a living but hopes to avoid it at home, so I try to be good and take care of my own machine!

    ReplyDelete