Saturday, October 19, 2013

Weekend Round Up

A compendium of useful and not so useful stuff (in a bulleted list of course):

  • I only walked 16 miles last week (my week runs from Saturday thru Friday) which is four miles less than the previous week but I started this week out well by doing a 10k volksmarch so hopefully this week's walking will be back up around 20 miles.  Plus the new shoes are working really well.
  • I've often thought that downsizing to 100 possessions would be wonderful (mostly because I live with a pack rat I think).
  • And I thought this was an interesting article on choosing poverty.  While we are above the poverty line, some family members still wonder why we have chosen to be poor since we decided to retire and not work and earn a lot of money so we will have a lot of money to spend so we would be "normal".  I rather enjoy not being normal.
  • The government decided to get its act together (kind of, not really, but it looks good on paper) so no worries about hubby's social security and pension checks arriving on time next month).
  • The weather is still perfect in Las Vegas (mid 70s and sunny while other places around the country are already getting snow).
  • I find the new Genealogy Roadshow on PBS fascinating!
Have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. It's been in the 70's here on the Gulf coast as well. This morning it was in the 40's which I don't care for at all. How cold does it get before you and hubby decide to turn the heat on? I hope to hold out as long as possible. We have a couple of small electric space heaters which will probably help make things more comfortable. I really don't want to turn on the gas furnace if I don't have to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hold out as long as possible by using a space heater and blankets to keep warm while watching TV or reading in the evening but once it gets too cold to walk through the house without seeing our breath the heat has to come on!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the poverty and possession articles. After dealing with my mortgage company for three years and keeping up with work I didn't want because of it, I can more than see the appeal in letting that go and living on less. I'm in the thinking/planning stages of shifting. Not so easy with a toddler but the article is encouraging at the very least. Plus I have so much stuff to get rid of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think downshifting is different for everyone. We were fortunate to have all of the kids grown and hubby's two pensions coming in which gave us a lot of leeway when deciding what to do. We are definitely happier with less stuff to pay for/insure/take care of though.

      Delete