- Shop the sales. Walmart and every office supply store in town currently has super cheap school supplies so now is a great time to stock up (buy enough for the whole school year then hold half back until after winter break when the kids will need/appreciate a bunch of new school supplies).
- Check out your school district's website. It has info on everything from registration to school supply lists to bus routes to program options, etc.
- Shop for school clothes/shoes starting with the Goodwill then Ross/TJ Maxx/Walmart then hit the higher end mall stores. Hopefully by the time you get to the expensive stores most of their needs will have been met at the cheaper stores!
- Determine how you will do lunch. If you qualify, you can sign your kids up for free/reduced lunches. Packing lunch from home seems like a healthier but more expensive/more work option.
- Determine how your kids will get to school. I am mystified that many parents drive their kids to school these days. When we were kids--even when our kids were kids--the options for getting to school were walk, ride a bike or ride the school bus--parent's simply did not drive their kids to school ever. Maybe consider car pooling to save money if several kids in the neighborhood need to be driven to school?
- Determine what you will do for before and after school care. Our school district has a before and after school care program which seems like an interesting option (and possibly cheaper than daycare/babysitters).
- For parents who need help, see if your school district has back to school fairs planned where they offer free school supplies, free immunizations, even free haircuts for the kids.
Sunday, July 22, 2018
It's Back to School Time Already!
I was at the store today and there were kids everywhere! I asked one mom and she said that school here resumes August 13th which seems super early to me but we haven't had kids in school for ages so maybe that is the usual time for kids to go back to school now? When I was in school we didn't start the school year until mid September! Anyway, here are some money-saving tips for back to school: