Sunday, February 2, 2020

Taxes Are Done!

While hubby was busy watching the Super Bowl today, I decided to dive into our taxes.  Our taxes are actually pretty basic these days--no rental properties, no businesses, no huge list of itemized deductions--so I figured it would be pretty easy to do.

I took a look at doing the return myself just using the 1040 form on the IRS website but I compared it to last year's submitted 1040 and it looked like there were a few schedules I would need to fill out so I took the easy way out and decided to use an online service...this is where it got a bit complicated.

First, I checked the free file section on the IRS website and it looked like I could file online through H & R Block, a service I had used for the past decade or so.  So I jumped into my account, said I wanted to do the free file thing, and when I got to the end of entering all of the info in (like at the very end of the filing part) it said we didn't qualify to file because of our ages (you had to be between 17 and 50 to use this service!?!). 

I looked at using Taxslayer but it had so many bad reviews I didn't want to risk using that service so back I went to H & R Block which wouldn't let me revert to the paid part :(  The solution?  I deleted my entire H & R Block account, including all of my past years taxes done by them (which I downloaded copies of in case I need them in the future), set up an all new account, entered all of my info once again, and was able to complete the filing, send it off to the IRS, and hopefully within a few weeks, have my refund land in my bank account.  Whew!  I'm glad that's done!

1 comment:

  1. That seemed relatively painless. I was always glad to have mine filed.

    ReplyDelete