- First, and pretty importantly, hubby has a bunch of cousins here so we have a place to stay for free while we are shopping for a house.
- We rented a 15' Budget rental truck and car carrier for the move. Doing it ourselves was much cheaper than hiring a moving company. I also checked the rates for U Haul and PODS but both were more expensive (note: PODS would have cost about the same but we would have still had to drive our car down so the cost for gas would have put the price higher than doing it the way we did). Cost for the truck: $972.02. Cost for the gas: $599.26. Cost for the hotel (we drove the whole distance in two days, stopping overnight at Motel 6 after 14 HOURS of driving on the first day): $44.70.
- We loaded all of our stuff from our storage shed into the truck ourselves with the help of a couple of (very nice) friends. We had some unused restaurant gift certificates for some nice restaurants in Seattle so we gave them these as payment.
- When we got to Las Vegas, a cousin referred us to the storage company she uses so we got our first month free. The cost of the storage shed (10x10) is $75 a month which is $20 more than we were paying in our old location but it is bigger and it is air conditioned so I guess that's why it cost more. Hopefully we will be able to close the house sale within two months so that would be $75 for two months!
- Hubby and I unpacked the moving truck ourselves and loaded the stuff into the storage shed (it took A LOT of work!). Hubby keeps reminding me he is 62 and shouldn't be doing this but we were too cheap to go find some day laborers to do the job for us so slowly but surely we eventually got the truck unloaded.
- We have been cooking at home so this is saving some money but it is hard to eat all three meals at home while we are guests. I think when we move to our new place I will eat at home for a solid month since this is something I miss because of traveling so much.
tl;dr Moving is hard work and not cheap.