Saturday, June 29, 2019

In the Home Stretch...And a Bunch of Links and Updates Too

On a happy note, I only have a week or so left of working this summer.  Overall it has been a great experience and I am even now looking forward to working at the WSOP again next summer.  Here's a bunch of links and updates...

  • Last week hubby found himself back in the hospital with chest pain.  After a bunch of testing we found that while his stents are working as they are supposed to after his heart attack last year, there are still heart blockages that aren't "bad enough" for open heart surgery.  Yikes!  When he had the stents put in a year ago we were 100% vegan for a few months then slowly slipped back into bad eating habits.  After this latest scare we are again 100% WFPB vegan and so far no more chest pain and best of all, his blood pressure has dropped from 170/95 (with medication) to 106/65 (with the same medication).  Needless to say, he is going to have his doctor adjust his blood pressure medication as we don't want it to drop too low!  I came across this booklet on Dr Furhman's plan for lowering blood pressure and cholesterol which we are roughly following.
  • Speaking of healthy eating, I absolutely LOVE my Insta-Pot type pressure cooker.  It is a great way to cook steel cut oats, chickpeas, dried beans, etc. and they all come out much healthier that using canned beans (too much salt in canned food).  I just cook up big batches of beans or grains then freeze them in meal-sized portions so cooking time each evening is super fast.
  • Unrelated to money is this unusual (and very hard!) physical challenge, this interesting infographic of rarely used punctuation (most I'd never seen before), and this wonderful Twitter feed for Lake Clark National Park.
  • I came across this review of Sweat Coin and since I love to walk I will try it as a way to create additional income after my current job is finished and I will also look into this list of 31 Ways to Make Passive Income which sounds like a great way to earn a bit of extra income in some unusual and fascinating ways.
  • Then there is new app, Instawork, which was featured on the news and it looks like a great way to earn extra money, work when you want to, and experience lots of different work environments.
  • Finally, I hope you and your family enjoy a happy, safe, and sane 4th of July holiday!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, only one week left? That was fast. Sorry to hear about your hubby. It's hard to stay on track with a major eating change. I find it one of the hardest things to do. I backslide into bad habits and then beat myself up. I hope eating vegan helps with his issues. I"m on BP medicine as well.

    ReplyDelete