It's been...a week. So far...
- We filed our taxes already and will be getting a nice refund but with the current debt ceiling mess, I'm hoping we get our return promptly (and hubby's military pension...and Social Security...and VA disability payments) eeekkk
- We will use our tax return to pay for all new flooring in our house. I would have tried to do the flooring myself but I don't know how to take out the old flooring (it's glued down to the slab foundation), get rid of the old flooring, and cut the new flooring accurately. In this case, I think it is better to let the professionals do it.
- And since I don't want to take every single item out of each room twice, I decided we will also paint the entire house as the flooring is being done. Hubby is not happy about this since he is old and crunchy but I like painting and it will save us a lot of money over hiring professionals to do this. I am old and crunchy too so while I've painted the interiors of several houses, I haven't done this in more than a decade! Wish me luck!
- We went to Costco yesterday and they didn't have a single egg to sell! I don't really eat eggs but all of the baking I do for friends and family requires eggs so I am pretty bummed about this. We will also be having about a dozen relatives come to visit in March so I would like to be able to make them breakfast everyday which requires...eggs. :/
- One of the relatives that is coming to visit is in such poor health I have been asking the other relatives to try talking her out of visiting. The last time she came to visit we had a trip to the hospital, a $100 fee to overnight her necessary medications here because she forgot to pack them, and she took a tumble down one stair and ended up black and blue from head to toe! She is currently in the ICU with a long list of serious medical issues but she is still insisting on visiting (even though the medical services in my city are God-awful compared to New England where she lives). ayayay
- I am still babying the washing machine along. I don't really want to spend $1200+ for a new washing machine right now with so many other things happening but then again, laundry for a dozen visitors may require this. When it rains, it pours!
- Also this week, the electric in hubby's bathroom went out. Hubby and a friend changed out the breaker and the GFCI (which somehow fixed a couple of issues we had with the outside outlets) but the light and fan still won't work so we will need to call a real electrician. I called to get estimates for a real electrician to come over to check out the problem and for someone just to show up it is $150 to $190!
- Finally, I got a reminder from my dentist a few days ago about my upcoming appointment to get my teeth cleaned this week which was great--my dentist and his entire staff are awesome so I always look forward to going to the dentist. Then yesterday some guy called and said my appointment was cancelled as my dentist sold his practice to a corporate chain of dentists which has pretty terrible reviews, a bunch of complaints on the BBB website, and some specific notes on local bulletin boards to "avoid this chain at all costs!!!". Needless to say, I need a new dentist. Of everything that happened this week, this is the things I am most disappointed about :(
- Oh, and last but not least...within 24 hours, two old Asian guys killed more than a dozen people in California. My peer group is old Asian guys and this is unheard of in this cohort. WTF is wrong with people lately?????