Tuesday, January 24, 2023

When Everything Happens All At Once

It's been...a week.  So far...

  • We filed our taxes already and will be getting a nice refund but with the current debt ceiling mess, I'm hoping we get our return promptly (and hubby's military pension...and Social Security...and VA disability payments)  eeekkk
  • We will use our tax return to pay for all new flooring in our house.  I would have tried to do the flooring myself but I don't know how to take out the old flooring (it's glued down to the slab foundation), get rid of the old flooring, and cut the new flooring accurately.  In this case, I think it is better to let the professionals do it.
  • And since I don't want to take every single item out of each room twice, I decided we will also paint the entire house as the flooring is being done.  Hubby is not happy about this since he is old and crunchy but I like painting and it will save us a lot of money over hiring professionals to do this.  I am old and crunchy too so while I've painted the interiors of several houses, I haven't done this in more than a decade!  Wish me luck!
  • We went to Costco yesterday and they didn't have a single egg to sell!  I don't really eat eggs but all of the baking I do for friends and family requires eggs so I am pretty bummed about this.  We will also be having about a dozen relatives come to visit in March so I would like to be able to make them breakfast everyday which requires...eggs.  :/
  • One of the relatives that is coming to visit is in such poor health I have been asking the other relatives to try talking her out of visiting.  The last time she came to visit we had a trip to the hospital, a $100 fee to overnight her necessary medications here because she forgot to pack them, and she took a tumble down one stair and ended up black and blue from head to toe!  She is currently in the ICU with a long list of serious medical issues but she is still insisting on visiting (even though the medical services in my city are God-awful compared to New England where she lives).  ayayay
  • I am still babying the washing machine along.  I don't really want to spend $1200+ for a new washing machine right now with so many other things happening but then again, laundry for a dozen visitors may require this.  When it rains, it pours!
  • Also this week, the electric in hubby's bathroom went out.  Hubby and a friend changed out the breaker and the GFCI (which somehow fixed a couple of issues we had with the outside outlets) but the light and fan still won't work so we will need to call a real electrician.  I called to get estimates for a real electrician to come over to check out the problem and for someone just to show up it is $150 to $190!
  • Finally, I got a reminder from my dentist a few days ago about my upcoming appointment to get my teeth cleaned this week which was great--my dentist and his entire staff are awesome so I always look forward to going to the dentist.  Then yesterday some guy called and said my appointment was cancelled as my dentist sold his practice to a corporate chain of dentists which has pretty terrible reviews, a bunch of complaints on the BBB website, and some specific notes on local bulletin boards to "avoid this chain at all costs!!!".  Needless to say, I need a new dentist.  Of everything that happened this week, this is the things I am most disappointed about :(
  • Oh, and last but not least...within 24 hours, two old Asian guys killed more than a dozen people in California.  My peer group is old Asian guys and this is unheard of in this cohort.  WTF is wrong with people lately?????

10 comments:

  1. It sounds like you need to have the whole house rewired. Getting new floors and paint might call for new furniture. I have heard that happens...lol.
    Won't your dentist be the same even if the practice is sold? I would hate to lose my dentist. Doctors can be replaced, but not dentists.
    I did not know you were Asian. The two incidents were horrifying to me. I never think of Asians as a target or as serial killers. And, I still wonder why it happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually my husband is Asian and many of our friends are Asian so that is pretty much our peer group. I think my dentist is going to retire but he will help transition his practice to a new dentist. I hope we won't have to do too much new wiring! Also, we are happy with our furniture (fortunately!) so hopefully this project will only cost for flooring and paint!

      Delete
    2. I knew he was Asian. I would have the whole house rewired because I figure if some of it needs fixing, it will all need fixing soon enough. I am terrified of fire.

      Delete
  2. A new washer shouldn't cost $1200 unless you have a real fancy front loader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to get a Speed Queen washer which start around $1200 but thy last a really long time. We have a fancy computerized washer but it doesn't seem to have a long lifespan.

      Delete
  3. I got a washer and dryer for under $1200 for both a few months ago. I am sure you can find just a washer for well under that mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to get a Speed Queen washer so it will last (hopefully) for the rest of my life!

      Delete
    2. Long time lurker here, speed queen is the way to go! I have the washer and dryer and they are worth every penny! Best, liz

      Delete
  4. If you buy a SpeedQueen, you will never have to buy another washing machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly why I want one. If I never have to buy another appliance that would be great!

      Delete