Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Today I am Making Pumpkin Pies

Even though we are kind of foregoing Thanksgiving tomorrow (since no one is in town and it is just the hubby and I we will eat Thanksgiving dinner at a restaurant) it doesn't seem like a holiday without baking something so today I decided to bake pumpkin pie.  Some people find baking overwhelming (kind of like I find cooking--for me baking is simple but cooking is difficult) but this is a pretty simple recipe that makes a really tasty pumpkin pie..

First, my grandmother's pie crust recipe:

  • Put 2 1/4 cups of flour in a bowl
  • From this flour take out 1/3 cup of flour and put it in a smaller bowl
  • Add 1/2 tsp salt to the bigger bowl of flour and mix
  • Next add 3/4 cup Crisco to the flour and salt and mix with a fork (it will look crumbly)
  • To the small bowl of flour add 4 tablespoons of water and mix into a paste
  • Mix the paste with the Crisco and flour in the bigger bowl and mix until it holds together (not a lot of mixing, just until it forms a ball.  I use my hands for this).
  • Lightly flour your work surface and roll out the pie crust.
  • This will make two 9" pie crusts (either the bottom crust for two pies or the top and bottom crust for a single pie)

Then I used this recipe from Libby's to make the pie.  This makes enough for two shallow 9" pies.
Bake, cool, and serve with whipped cream!  Yum!!

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of that way of making pastry. Your pie does look good.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete