- For New Year's Eve last night, the hubby and I compromised. He wanted to go to the Strip (with 150,000 other people! eekkk) and I wanted to stay home (warm, safe, in my pajamas) so we decided to head over to a local casino, ring in the New Year with the crowd (many were drunk because the casino had a $20 all you can drink special...they were quite the animated crowd!), and had their midnight breakfast special ($2.95 for eggs, sausage or bacon, toast, and hash browns...yummy but I really shouldn't eat so much that late at night. Lesson learned.). Overall, we were both happy with our little celebration of the new year.
- I decided to treat myself to a Baskin Robbins Blast today (see photo above). This is the first time ever that I have had junk food on the first day of the year because usually on the first day of the year I am swearing off all junk food (yeah right) and resolving to exercise every day (ditto). So this year I decided to try reverse psychology. If I don't make such rigid rules about my diet (like never ever ever eating junk food again) I think I might have better luck with improving my diet. Sounds good in theory...
- Hubby played poker today so I went with him, took my laptop, and got lots of work done for one of my clients (which for me is a perfect way to spend the first day of the year).
- While hubby was playing poker, someone on their table hit the big jackpot (the guy won $25,000!) so hubby's share of the jackpot (half goes to the winner, 25% goes to the next highest hand and 25% of the jackpot is split between everyone who is playing poker at the time which is what hubby won) was $550 of which he gave me $200. Now that is a great way to start the year!
- We had a nice dinner at the casino while hubby was waiting for his money (it takes about three hours for all the paperwork to get done) which was free with his comps. Even though meals are free we still only get one meal and split it because the portions are so big.
- Then to cap off our evening, we went to our first free show from FillASeat. It was held in a small, run down hotel that we probably would otherwise have never known about but the singers were good and the audience seemed to make up for the small number of attendees by cheering extra laud so it was really fun and we are looking forward to going to more shows soon.
I hope you all got off to a great start to the new year as well! I wish you a prosperous and happy new year!