Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Another Update

Really, I need to put more effort into the titles for these blog posts...  Here's yet another update (when I actually have time and feel more creative I might be able to put together a good blog post but until this job is finished you will probably just get random updates!)

  • Today's tournament at the WSOP (World Series of Poker) had a $111,111 entry fee (yes, SIX figures!).  I thought they would have like 20 entrants and there was about 150!  Some even came to sign up for the tournament with $112,000 IN CASH that they casually pulled out of their backpacks.  I think I'm in the wrong business...
  • I want to be one of the "cool" kids.  Watching all of these people unload money by the thousands, show off a wallet full of credit cards, wear expensive clothes, and drive nice expensive cars makes me want to have the same things and be one of the "cool kids".  I'm hoping this feeling is just temporary.
  • My SIL is a certified "tiger mom" with her grandkids.  It's making me crazy.  Each day she makes the kids (ages three and six) do two to four hours of homework a day.  Never mind that the kids are on summer break, never mind that the six year old is already the smartest kid in class because she can do math up to fractions and is heading towards algebra.  Did I mention she is SIX?  I don't think education should be forced but I am (with difficulty) trying to keep my mouth shut.  It's difficult.  I wanted to email her this article but hubby would be quite unhappy if I did.
  • On a happier note, I read this article (and watched the video) and was really inspired.  I need to get writing!
  • Our FillASeat subscription runs out this week so I found this service which seems to provide the same thing (free tickets to local shows, in fact many of the same shows as FAS) and it is FREE!  I registered and we will go to a show through this service on my next days off.
  • Congrats to Lorraine and family who just made a huge change in their lives and are living their dreams!  It is ~~so cool~~ when people set a goal and reach it!  Yeah!
  • Happy anniversary to Dar (this was a great blog post about how she and her husband got together)!
  • And three more things: it's going to be 117 degrees this weekend (!!!); happy: Supreme Court's recent same sex marriage ruling: stupid: raking Paula Deen over the coals for something she said decades ago.  

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention April! I still can't believe we did it, but here we are in a totally different part of the country. No debt either. It's awesome. I feel so free! Now I just need a job to sustain this new lifestyle.

    Its been 92 degrees here in AL every day and oh so very humid. Very tropical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link! It must be a whirlwind time for you, between the job and the visitors.

    ReplyDelete