It's been a busy tech week around here...
- I was reading somewhere that you could update your phone online so I thought I would give it a try. I Googled "how to update Samsung Galaxy S2" and it took me right to the page where I could update my phone for free through Samsung (the software downloads through my computer right to my cell phone which is connected via USB). I did both hubby's and my phones since they are exactly the same and now my phone works better and with the new software even looks like a new phone!
- As you could see from my post yesterday, I ended up buying another tablet. When I returned the previous tablet I saw that Best Buy was selling the Samaung Galaxy Tab 3 7" tablets for $139. This is a HUGE saving over it's usual price ($199) and also much cheaper than the other tablets I was looking at (Surface, Samsung 10" tablets, etc). I am SOOO happy with it! I made it my "work" tablet so no social media/games/etc on it. I did download a free Office suite (Kingsoft Office; it allows you to create MS Office compatible documents/Excel/PPT) and a free swype-type keyboard (Touch PalX). I wrote an entire chapter of my book on it while hubby was bowling today! At first I thought it would be too small since it is only a couple inches bigger than my cell phone and a 10" tablet seems more work-like but it is perfect. I hold it in one hand and can swype type with ease. Also reading Kindle books on it is great too!
- One thing about buying tech, when you buy one tech item, that purchase often needs additional purchases to make it "complete". Case in point, hubby bought a soundbar for our TV at the end of last month then when we went to set it up a couple days ago, it needed a special cord to connect it (thus the purchase a couple days ago). And for my new tablet, since I am sure I am going to keep it and it is a bit fragile, I had to order a cover for it. The covers are incredibly cheap from Amazon but still, it was an added expense during our no spend month. I will wait until later to get a memory card for the table as I really don't need one now.
- As you can tell from the photo, hubby got busy again and made me a padded pocket for the table so I can slip it into my purse without the tablet getting scratched or squished. Again, reusing a padded mailing envelope that would otherwise have been thrown away. This definitely saved me a few dollars and gave me piece of mind that the tablet will be protected.
- Finally, I have been saving a lot of money online lately. When I get my Baskin Robbins Blast I get the receipt with the drink then by filling out a survey online, I get $1 off my next purchase (perpetually it seems like). Then I commented on one of my favorite romance writer's blog and she sent me a $10 Amazon gift card! This went to pay for most of the tablet cover above as I didn't realize that I had to pay for shipping from Amazon (before Christmas Amazon was shipping all items for free). It still saved me $10 which was great! Plus I have two more surveys waiting to be done, one for $10 off at Office Depot and one for Albertsons. I guess taking a couple of minutes to fill out surveys online really pays off!
- Walk: 2 miles (984 more miles to go. The weather has been perfect and hubby has been walking with me everyday).
- No spend: Total: $18.06. $8.01 (Amazon, tablet cover and shipping), $10.05 (Albertsons; 1 lb cheese, 2 dozen eggs, bunch of kale, 4 cinnamon rolls)
- Update this blog: yep
- Update client's blog: yep
- Photo: yep
- Client work: 3 hours today (yeah!)
- Genealogy: yep (I've got a long list of documents to order, unfortunately all will cost money)
- Non fiction book: one section
- Fiction book: a whole chapter done on my new tablet!