Monday, October 14, 2019

In Which I Applied for a Job and Didn't Get It

So I figured I should probably get some sort of job, especially now that there are a lot of seasonal, short-term jobs being advertised for the holidays.  I was walking by Target yesterday on my morning walk and saw that they were hiring for the holidays so when I got home I applied online and within about ten minutes of hitting "send" someone from HR called and asked me to come in for an interview.  I went in for the interview, answered the questions somewhat awkwardly, and got an email today saying I wasn't chosen for any of their jobs(!).

I think I am not meant for working a "normal" job.  I told hubby that I wasn't chosen and he was rather happy about it (we have a wedding coming up, I usually go with hubby to all of his medical appointments of which he has many coming up, and they said part of the job was working Thanksgiving and Black Friday(!) eeekkkk).  I also think I don't interview well.  Actually this was probably the first "official" job interview I had ever done.  Either someone I knew hired me, someone recommended me for a job and no interview was done, or the places I applied for were so desperate for people they just hired me on the spot.

And then there were the interview questions...  "What do you do when you get mad at a coworker?" "Um why would I get mad at a coworker?"  I've never not liked my coworkers and if I have an issue with someone I just talk to them and we come to some sort of agreement or agreement to disagree.  No big deal.  "When have you gone above and beyond at your job?"  "Um any time I need to?"  If things need to be done, within or above the scope of work, I don't determine if I need to "go above and beyond" I just do it because it needs to be done.  Needless to say I was probably not their idea of a great employee...oh well.

Edit: right after I posted this, I came across this article so now I don't feel so bad.  I would feel horrible taking a job that gives hours to new temp people while hanging permanent, full-time employees out to dry with very few hours each week!

5 comments:

  1. Sometimes things don't work out because they weren't meant to be. Retail can be horrible, especially around the holidays. Have you checked the city website? Maybe you can land a part time job with the city. How about your local library?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ideas. You are right about things not working out because they weren't meant to be--after seeing how busy we will be in November, I wouldn't really even have time to work!

      Delete
  2. I too applied for a job and pretty sure I am not being called for an interview (closed a week ago). It was permanent casual...I am not sure I would be thrilled to be called in at the last minute anyway. I think they hire people with low experience because those are just so grateful to have a job they don't push back when asked to do immoral/demeaning things. If you have experience it's a tough slog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was probably the problem (in their eyes), since I didn't give off the "I NEED this job and will do anything you tell me to do" vibe. Oh well :)

      Delete
    2. Also, good luck with your job search!

      Delete